- Symptoms: Foliage wilted or curled, deformed buds and flowers.
- Cause: Aphids appear on plants that are stressed usually by heat or water stress.
- Prevention: A sharp spray of water from the hose will dislodge them or spray with insecticidal soap.
- Symptoms: Usually attacks seedlings by cutting stems down at the soil surface. Inactive during the day.
- Cause: Cutworms are the larvae stage of a commonly seen grayish-brown moth. They stay burrowed into the soil until they emerge at night to feed.
- Prevention: Place cardboard or metal collars around the stem of the plants. Sprinkle moist bran mixed with BTK on the soil surface in the evening.
Beneficial nematodes are also helpful.
- Symptoms: Downy patches appear on foliage.
- Cause: Fungi settle on leaves of plants that may not have proper air circulation.
- Prevention: Proper air circulation is essential in preventing powdery mildew.
- Symptoms: Chewed foliage
- Prevention: Remove weeds. Using row covers may help. Spray with garlic or pyrethrin.